1. How good does Skip Schumaker look at 2nd Base in 2010? The Outfielder turned Infielder looks like he’s been manning the #2 bag for years. Very impressive. Nice to watch him work smoothly on the infield.
2. Brendan Ryan came to play, eh? Due to some last minute lineup shuffling, Ryan ended up in the 2 spot today…my question, why isn’t he there all the time? He just has that “it” factor to get things started, rev things up, and light a fire under the lineup. I get the Lopez thing, but I really like Ryan’s energy in front of Albert. Poor kid…he doesn’t know enough to be nervous hitting in front of “The Great Pujols.”
3. Carp and Waino look ready, Lohse looks close enough…but what about Brad Penny? Honestly, I’m not worried at all, but not for the reason you think. Penny may or may not get things going consistently, but in the grand scheme of things, I’m not sure it matters much. With K-Mac and Ottavino looking better and better, spot starts and even a replacement starter wouldn’t be the end of a the road for this team. For the first time in years, I feel very comfortable with our 6th and 7th starter options.
4. Speaking of Ottavino, I want him on the team. I really don’t have much faith in Mitchell Boggs in a key, late-inning situation. Adam, however, seems calm, poised, and all-together more in control on the mound than Boggs. Let’s send Boggs down as a “first up” option for the ‘pen, and give Ottavino a shot.
5. Finally…the Jaime Garcia thing is exciting…but it’s leaving a bad taste in my mouth. McClellan has done the work, put in the time, and was all-but assured the spot in the rotation that he badly wanted and clearly earned in light of Rich Hill’s stumbling performance. Dunc and Tony initially felt Garcia’s arm and body wasn’t ready for a Major League season (plus, handling him with kid-gloves handicaps a somewhat glass rotation), then pulled a 180…based on what? The fact that he pitched extremely well? Correct me if I’m wrong, but a few appearances in Spring Training haven’t exactly answered questions surrounding the kid’s health and arm strength…right?