1. He pitched less than 24 hours ago. I don’t care if he only threw 15 pitches…a 35 year old body that is already struggling doesn’t bounce back that fast.
2. After stating the Club was going to keep Izzy out of no/low pressure situations, they put him in a 1 run game in the 8th inning with a short bullpen. Talk about pressure…I would hate to see TLR’s idea of a high pressure regular season situation.
3. The game was already so rain-soaked that pitching was difficult at best. Gripping the ball (as Izzy must do to rely on that nasty curve ball he was throwing last night) is a manly feat in and of itself…much less locating the pitch AFTER you effectively grip it.
4. The Club wants to build Izzy’s confidence by putting him in away-game situations where the game is NOT on the line. Again…Busch Stadium…8th inning…1 run game…threat of falling 2 games behind the Cubs…
5. Mike Parisi hasn’t been used in days!
To defend that last point, Tony La Russa stated that Kyle Lohse was sore and may need Parisi to help out in Sunday’s game. I say, secure the win in the pocket today and worry about Sunday this weekend. Any number of things could happen between now and then…a couple of long outings rests the bullpen…we make a move to bring up help from Triple A…but DON’T use Izzy in the spot he used him in today.
Today’s loss is 75% on TLR and 25% on Izzy…Izzy should not have been in that game…and La Russa knows it. This could very well have mentally ruined Izzy for quite a while. At best, it’s set his “comeback” back by several days and/or weeks.