Okay, Cards fans…enough is enough. I hereby officially call for a return to the good ‘ol days, when baseball announcers could speak the truth when they said “Cardinals fans are the best in baseball!” Lately, with all the booing of Izzy and what not, we’ve sounded more like sour Cubs fans. And enough with the drunken antics at the ballpark! From now on, here are the unofficial rules according to me, your humble blogger, when attending a game at Busch Stadium (or any other stadium when representing Cardinals Nation):
1. No booing the Cardinals…ever…under any circumstances. (Update: Okay…booing a Cardinals player “may” be acceptable if you are certain he is not giving 100% on the field, but how do you know for sure? And what if his dog just died?…and booing a player is absolutely encouraged in the event of rude conduct – the bird, etc. – directed towards a fan or fans)
2. No EXCESSIVE booing of the non-Cardinals team. Moderate booing of the big names (Derrick Lee, etc.) is allowed. (In the case of an uncalled-for beaning of a Cardinals player, this rule is null and void)
3. No drunken disrespect/disregard for families at the ballpark. If you wouldn’t say it to your grandmother, don’t say it in front of the eight year old two rows behind you.
4. NO FIGHTING! Geez…you would think this rule would be obvious, but some people are just stupid.
5. No signs blocking the view of the fans behind you. Seriously, dude…if you bring a sign, keep it out of my eye-line.
6. Respectful recognition of outstanding plays (even by the visiting team) is encouraged. A great play is a great play…recognizing it publicly only shows the country just how much we love our baseball.
7. NO THROWING THINGS AT THE PLAYERS! Sheesh…some idiot tossed a ball at Chris Duncan’s head during Opening Ceremonies this year. I thought the fans in the bleachers (including me) were going to drag him out back and beat the stupid outta’ him. Good thing they didn’t find him.
Okay…that’s all I got for now…if you would like to add to this list, PLEASE do so by submitting a comment with this post. I will add those I agree with to this list and give you full credit.